EMRA Forum

Official Web Discussion Board of the Eastern Motor Racing Association

Fire extinguisher mounting

Oleg P

Fire extinguisher mounting

Post  Oleg P on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 am

2.2: "[The fire extinguisher] must be securely mounted with a quick release bracket within easy reach of the driver."

Is that easy reach with the belts on or off?

If the fire extinguisher is supposed to be "easily reachable" with the belts on, where does one put it in a car which has a passenger seat?

Where do race cars (without a fire system) put fire extinguishers?
    quikgt

Re: Fire extinguisher mounting

Post  quikgt on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 am

Oleg P wrote:2.2: "[The fire extinguisher] must be securely mounted with a quick release bracket within easy reach of the driver."

Is that easy reach with the belts on or off?

If the fire extinguisher is supposed to be "easily reachable" with the belts on, where does one put it in a car which has a passenger seat?

Where do race cars (without a fire system) put fire extinguishers?

Assuming you're NOT planning on activating the fire extinguisher while you're in the burning vehicle, you'd have to release your seatbelt first and get out of the car. THEN you can reach for the extinguisher and put out the fire. On race cars there are usually no second seats, so the extinguisher is placed on the passenger floor or roll cage. On a car with a second seat it could be bolted to the transmission tunnel on the passenger side, where it would be easily accessible to either the driver or passenger. "Within easy reach" means that you should be able to get to it quickly.
    wreckerboy

Post  wreckerboy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Interesting topic - this same subject came up when I brought my car in for it's SCCA annual inspection this spring. The tech inspector asked me to get in, belt up, and try to reach my extinguisher, which is mounted on the forward passenger side seat mount (the car is a Miata). I could not reach it without unbuckling, which was enlightening.

Until I realized that if my car is on fire my escape plan is to GTFO first and then seek to put out any fires. I told him that, and that I also feel that keeping the car from burning is a lot less important than getting out of the damn thing and away from the flames. I figure that if I am reaching for the extinguisher it is most likely that all of the crashing noises have stopped and that "ladies and gentlemen are free to move about the cabin."

Key point is having an escape plan, and to practice it EVERY damn time you get out of the car until it is muscle memory. In my case, I work from top to bottom, right to left -

1. Release head and neck device
    2. Dump belts
    3. Remove steering wheel
    4. Release window net
    5. Key off
    6. Open door
    7. Bail

On that last bailing part, I have also practiced getting out in less than 15 seconds, helmet on, with my eyes closed. (Note, I do not practice with my suit on because I have no desire to risk tearing the thing.) It has come in handy - a few years ago, when I rolled the car at LRP* and finished upside down against the tire wall, driver's left, I did almost everything as planned - I even remembered to brace my hand against the roof prior to releasing the belts. The only part I missed was step 5, key off, which I didn't realize until the car had been righted and the wipers made one slow, palsied swipe of the remains of my windshield.

*Note: If you are going to do something well and truly
    stoopid, do it directly in front of your wife. It makes the explanation
    process a lot simpler.

The car was up and running two weeks later at Summit Point...

Photo Credit: Mary Cox
    rkkgto

Post  rkkgto on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 pm

-testing,

Last edited by rkkgto on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
    wreckerboy

Post  wreckerboy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:11 pm

I guess I should mention that I too am a former EMRA Chief of Tech... Smile
    rkkgto

Post  rkkgto on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm

-This is a test

Last edited by rkkgto on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
    civicminded

Post  civicminded on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:59 pm

I'd think that in a fire, most drivers would want to exit the race car first, and then plan on extinguishing the fire. What would I do with the fire extinguisher anyway, if I reached for it first? It would mean that I'd have a handful of extinguisher and no hands to release my belts.
    rkkgto

Post  rkkgto on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 pm

-

Last edited by rkkgto on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
    DocB

Post  DocB on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:08 am

Are we talking about reaching the fire extinguisher itself?

You may want to consider adding "some" tubing (perhaps multiple wyes in the cabin) to the extinguisher which can be mounted anywhere and then a remote handle off the extinguisher which is within easy reach while belted in. This could be done in lieu of a full blown fire suppression system.

Just thinking about if the car is on fire and you can't get out.
    rkkgto

Post  rkkgto on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:19 am

-

Last edited by rkkgto on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:40 pm; edited 5 times in total
    civicminded

Post  civicminded on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 am

rkkgto wrote:That is the point in mounting the extiguisher in your reach belted in the car.
    If the car is on fire and you are unable to "GTFO"
    So Oleg, In answer to your original question, mounting the extiguisher within your reach belted in the car would be the safest place for it. Very Happy

Halon fire systems work by removing the oxygen from the air that the fire needs to burn. Carbon-dioxide fire extinguishers also eliminate oxygen and replace it with carbon dioxide. Either way you would have no air to breathe. What's your option...death by suicide, (asphyxiation) or accident? Your family may get insurance money in the latter case.
    Oleg P

Post  Oleg P on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 pm

I would obviously prefer to mount the fire extinguisher in a location that is reachable with the belts on (for those cases when I cannot get out of the car for whatever reason), but in a car with a passenger seat I simply do not see how that is possible.
    Oleg P

Post  Oleg P on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 pm

DocB wrote:Are we talking about reaching the fire extinguisher itself?
    Yes.

You may want to consider adding "some" tubing (perhaps multiple wyes in the cabin) to the extinguisher which can be mounted anywhere and then a remote handle off the extinguisher which is within easy reach while belted in. This could be done in lieu of a full blown fire suppression system.
    I don't think the fire extinguisher spraying in whichever direction the output tube is facing, most likely toward the rear of the car, is going to be very useful.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:48 pm