EMRA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EMRA Forum

Official Web Discussion Board of the Eastern Motor Racing Association

4 posters

summit point questions

Cecil
    Cecil

summit point questions Empty summit point questions

Post  Cecil Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:23 am

Hey Guys/Gals.

Myself and 2 friends intend to participate in sprint races both days and possibly TT as well. Our cars are setup for NASA german touring series (GTS)3. power to weight 11/1. I imagine they would fit ST2 well but not sure where the technicalities via the rule book will eventually place then for EMRA.

1. Do any hotels/motels in summit point give a discount for EMRA?

2.Wish there was a combi discunt for TT and racing like there is for racing and enduro. yes? no?

3. i think there was a thread here on best route to summit from Ny area. can't find it can someone help/comment?

last event was july 2010 lime rock (FTD!), myself and car have come along nicely and i'm looking forward to summit and seeing some "old" faces ;-0
    Cecil
    Cecil

summit point questions Empty Re: summit point questions

Post  Cecil Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:58 am

also- is there early drop off available at the track?
    TOMJIGSAW
    TOMJIGSAW

Post  TOMJIGSAW Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Cecil
    Good questions.

EMRA always gives discounts for combos.
    Enduro sat / TT sun would be same combo as
    Enduro sat / race sunday.

Track allows for drop off on Friday.

Tom M
    Chairman

Cecil
    Cecil

Post  Cecil Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:16 pm

TOMJIGSAW wrote:Cecil
    Good questions.

EMRA always gives discounts for combos.
    Enduro sat / TT sun would be same combo as
    Enduro sat / race sunday.

Track allows for drop off on Friday.

Tom M
    Chairman

Tom, sorry for the trouble but could you clarify if TT and RACE whole weekend can get cobo discount? Nominally $600, and consider that i may not even make every session due to scheduling overlap. I just want to make sure i get as much track time as possible. It's 7 hrs to summit for me.

$500, do i hear $500!!! :-)
    racedayvinyl
    racedayvinyl

Post  racedayvinyl Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:18 am

The route that google maps shows from NY to summit looks like the best route. (81/78) You are going to want to avoid the 95 route at all costs, especially through Wash DC. Our traffic is pretty horrific during all hours except for 2am -5am Smile

If you are looking for a hotel, i would suggest looking in the areas surrounding summit point, probably in berryville or charlestown. You will most likely get the best rate in charlestown.
    wreckerboy
    wreckerboy

summit point questions Empty Directions To Summit Point

Post  wreckerboy Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 am

We make this trip towing 10+ times each year. From the NY metro area there are several alternatives;

1. 95 south to 695 west to 70W to 340 west. Works very well either late at night as noted above, or during the early to mid part of the day when traffic is somewhat lighter. Can be the quickest route if you miss traffic. Time it wrong and you'll sit forever. If it's a weekday and I can't be at the Baltimore Tunnel before 0630 it's a lost cause.

2. 78W to 81 S Exit 5 (Inwood) in WV. This used to be our preferred route, except that A: there is occasionally construction along 81; B: it is somewhat congested these days (not as bad as 95 by any means); C: it is boring as hell. The advantage here is that if you are planning a stopover at Cabelas it's right there. We were on 78 last weekend and there was no construction. Because it's PA, every orange highway sign will trigger your radar detector.

3. 95 / NJ Turnpike south to Pennsylvania Turnpike west to exit 236 - 15 south to 340 west. This is how we've been going for the last two or three years. Lightly traveled, much nicer, no major hills to climb if you are towing. The only issue is that there is a ton of radar/laser on the northern 15-20 miles or so, and not a lot of places to stop and eat or fuel. Generally the times are the same or slightly quicker than 81, but the ride is a lot nicer. Yes, the toll on the Pennsy 'Pike if you are towing will be pricey (probably $13-$15, IIRC) but it's not a bad road to travel and worth it. Not a lot of killer hills.

Traffic Alert: The NJ Turnpike can and will grind to a halt for no apparent reason. Look for Route 130 just west of it as an alternative that parallels it all the way down to exit 4 or thereabouts. You can traffic alerts by signing up at http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/

Hotels: Try Winchester, VA instead of Charles Town. Many hotels right off 81 that are <15 miles from the track. Hotels are competitively priced to Chas Town and often cheaper for nicer rooms. There are Sheetz in the area (think "7-11s of the south") where you can get sandwiches for lunch, ice, etc. before heading to the track.
    TOMJIGSAW
    TOMJIGSAW

Post  TOMJIGSAW Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

For those following the combo saga for Cecil

He wants to do 2 days racing & 2 days TT

Normally $200 per day = $ 800 (+ $50 late fee)
    $ 850
    Two combo discounts = $-200
    one late fee discount $- 50

Grand total for both = $ 600 alien (already paid - thanks Cecil)

Tom M
    Registrar & Chairman
    Cecil
    Cecil

Post  Cecil Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:18 pm

TOMJIGSAW wrote:For those following the combo saga for Cecil

He wants to do 2 days racing & 2 days TT

Normally $200 per day = $ 800 (+ $50 late fee)
    $ 850
    Two combo discounts = $-200
    one late fee discount $- 50

Grand total for both = $ 600 alien (already paid - thanks Cecil)

Tom M
    Registrar & Chairman

this guy is tough on the forum but i'm gonna pass him like a breeze on the track. Laughing
    Cecil
    Cecil

Post  Cecil Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:22 pm

wreckerboy wrote:We make this trip towing 10+ times each year. From the NY metro area there are several alternatives;

1. 95 south to 695 west to 70W to 340 west. Works very well either late at night as noted above, or during the early to mid part of the day when traffic is somewhat lighter. Can be the quickest route if you miss traffic. Time it wrong and you'll sit forever. If it's a weekday and I can't be at the Baltimore Tunnel before 0630 it's a lost cause.

2. 78W to 81 S Exit 5 (Inwood) in WV. This used to be our preferred route, except that A: there is occasionally construction along 81; B: it is somewhat congested these days (not as bad as 95 by any means); C: it is boring as hell. The advantage here is that if you are planning a stopover at Cabelas it's right there. We were on 78 last weekend and there was no construction. Because it's PA, every orange highway sign will trigger your radar detector.

3. 95 / NJ Turnpike south to Pennsylvania Turnpike west to exit 236 - 15 south to 340 west. This is how we've been going for the last two or three years. Lightly traveled, much nicer, no major hills to climb if you are towing. The only issue is that there is a ton of radar/laser on the northern 15-20 miles or so, and not a lot of places to stop and eat or fuel. Generally the times are the same or slightly quicker than 81, but the ride is a lot nicer. Yes, the toll on the Pennsy 'Pike if you are towing will be pricey (probably $13-$15, IIRC) but it's not a bad road to travel and worth it. Not a lot of killer hills.

Traffic Alert: The NJ Turnpike can and will grind to a halt for no apparent reason. Look for Route 130 just west of it as an alternative that parallels it all the way down to exit 4 or thereabouts. You can traffic alerts by signing up at Hotels: Try Winchester, VA instead of Charles Town. Many hotels right off 81 that are <15 miles from the track. Hotels are competitively priced to Chas Town and often cheaper for nicer rooms. There are Sheetz in the area (think "7-11s of the south") where you can get sandwiches for lunch, ice, etc. before heading to the track.

Rob gotcha and thanks for reposting. this was what i was looking for.

Leaning to the 78/81 route as I can skirt GWB traffic via 287. plus i picked up the new townplace suites (marriott) in winchester for discount via the company i work for. reg rate is $86 for a king so that's a deal. so all's good.
    wreckerboy
    wreckerboy

Post  wreckerboy Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Cecil - Glad to be of help. Townplace Suites are a good deal - it is where we (and the odd EMRA racer) usually stay. I think it clocks in at 9 miles from the track, and you've got your choice of both a Sheetz and a 7-11 on the way in, both of which are open 24/7. There's also a Waffle House (the south's version of a diner and wonderful) just south of there at exit 315B, but check me on that number. It's posted on the interstate. Plenty of places to eat in Winchester as well.

78/81 works, and remember that 15 parallels it to the EAST if 81 takes a poop and becomes miserable. As I noted, the construction zones along 81 near the PA border can sometimes be trying.

Last edited by wreckerboy on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 'cause I can't tell my right from my left sometimes)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:47 am