EMRA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EMRA Forum

Official Web Discussion Board of the Eastern Motor Racing Association

4 posters

Class Help

miniracer
    miniracer

Class Help Empty Class Help

Post  miniracer Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:15 pm

After reading the rules, I think I may have incorrrectly classed myself. I am currently in Tuner Modified Front Wheel Drive but I think I might be ST2 or possibly ST3

2002 Mini Cooper
    Ported Head
    Reduced Supercharger Pulley
    Race Cam
    Aftermarket header
    aftermarket exhaust
    gutted interior(mostly)
    6 point roll cage
    race seat w 5 point harnass
    Custom ECU Tune
    Aftermarket coilovers front camber plate
    aftermarket stabilizer bars
    some aftermarket gauges interior
    about 245 HP at 2675 lbs.
    Did I class myself correctly in TMF? I went with TMF as i though it would line up with my SMF in SCCA Autox, but after careful reading I might actually be ST2.
    Oleg P
    Oleg P

Class Help Empty Re: Class Help

Post  Oleg P Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00 pm

I assume you have a Mini Cooper S, therefore your base class is ST-3.

Reduced Supercharger Pulley - I assume this gives you more boost, invoking paragraph 6.2.12 of EMRA car preparation rules, giving you one exception.

Ported Head - see paragraph 4.20. Depending on what was done it may or may not be legal.

Race Cam - paragraph 6.2.8, three exceptions.

Aftermarket header - per 4.13, no exceptions if you keep stock AFM, otherwise one exception.

aftermarket exhaust - in my understanding this is free.

gutted interior(mostly) - read the definition in paragraph 6.2.13. If this applies to your car, one exception.

6 point roll cage - free. Note that having a roll cage allows you to remove some additional interior parts per 6.2.13.

race seat w 5 point harnass - free.

Custom ECU Tune - if boost level is unaffected per 4.14, no exceptions. Otherwise per 6.2.12 this is one exception in addition to the exception you are taking for supercharger pulley.

Aftermarket coilovers front camber plate - in my understanding this is free per 3.8 and 3.15.

aftermarket stabilizer bars - free per 3.9.

some aftermarket gauges interior - free.

about 245 HP at 2675 lbs. - not a factor in ST ruleset.

Looks like you have at least 5 exceptions, moving you from ST-3 to ST-1. Note that ST classes have limits on wheel width and if you run larger wheel diameter than stock that is another exception.

Historically TMF has not been a highly populated class. ST-1 acts as a kind of a grab bag for everything fast and has had some very quick cars in it. If you run in TMF you are likely to be the only entrant or one of two entrants. With that power and weight, if you can drive you have good chances of beating your one opponent. In ST-1 you are unlikely to win but you are guaranteed a substantial field of competitors.

You can also email compboard@emraracing.org with everything you posted in this topic and request a custom classification.
    miniracer
    miniracer

Post  miniracer Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks, that was really helpful.

I guess that's the dilemma, ST1 or TMF. Its too bad it cant be horsepower to weight but that would be a pain in the butt for everyone. I think I can be a little competitive in ST1 so ill switch. Its lonely in TMF. Based on 9/9/12 NJMP lightning TT I would've placed third so I guess I'll switch over.

Spartacus913
    Spartacus913

Post  Spartacus913 Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 am

miniracer wrote:Thanks, that was really helpful.

I guess that's the dilemma, ST1 or TMF. Its too bad it cant be horsepower to weight but that would be a pain in the butt for everyone. I think I can be a little competitive in ST1 so ill switch. Its lonely in TMF. Based on 9/9/12 NJMP lightning TT I would've placed third so I guess I'll switch over.

These are not your typical ST1 lap times. Your car fits better in ST2.
    SBRacing
    SBRacing

Post  SBRacing Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Oleg is correct on class.
    You're correct class would be TMF
    but you can run in ST-1 as well.
    Will be up to you.

Cory

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content