EMRA Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
EMRA Forum

Official Web Discussion Board of the Eastern Motor Racing Association

+3
civicminded
racedayvinyl
sgoodspeed
7 posters

DOT approved Competition Tires

sgoodspeed
    sgoodspeed

DOT approved Competition Tires  Empty DOT approved Competition Tires

Post  sgoodspeed Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:13 am

I'm ready to get competition tires which are DOT approved (so I can stay within ST class) and narrowed it down to following two which are basically the same price ($215): Toyo Proxes R888 and Khumo Ecsta V710. Any feedback on either tire or any suggestions for others in the same price range? Thanks in advance!!
    sgoodspeed
    sgoodspeed

DOT approved Competition Tires  Empty Re: DOT approved Competition Tires

Post  sgoodspeed Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:55 am

Thanks Roger! I didn't realize there was a width max requirement per car class, I better read the rules again ;-) My stock tires are 215 on a 17in rims so hopefully i'll find the same it 225s ;-)
    racedayvinyl
    racedayvinyl

Post  racedayvinyl Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:32 am

RMaeda wrote:Look at Nitto NT01s. They are in the Toyo family, use a compound similar to the RA1s, but have a stiffer construction. Similar to the R888s, you can run them full tread on a relatively heavy car and it doesn't cause issues. Difference is that they don't cycle out as quickly as R888s and take a beating.

I used to run NT01s until I started getting a bit faster and realized that 205s were a bit too narrow for a 2700 lb FWD car. I only went to RA1s because they didn't have a 15" 225 that would fit a 6.5" wide wheel (which was the max for ST4 until this year).

The V710s are faster tyres and behave more like traditional R comps (think Hoosier R6s). They are sharper and more responsive. However, they flat spot easily and cycle out fast. If you decide to go that route, be prepared to buy a set of tyres every couple weekends.

I posted this in the facebook group, but NT-01s are a solid tire choice. They seem to take a beating. On my car (awd) the fronts do get a little greasy after about 25 minutes, but keep in mind they are doing a lot of work and the car weights 3400lbs. discounttiredirect.com stocks them in most sizes for about the lowest price I have found, but i am sure one of the EMRA supporters can get you an even cheaper price.

Scott
    civicminded
    civicminded

Post  civicminded Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:08 am

You can get the Toyos from Philstireservice.com. He'll also shave them for you for $15 per tire for faster lap times.
    sgoodspeed
    sgoodspeed

Post  sgoodspeed Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks guys! Looks like NT01s it is ;-)
    EarlR
    EarlR

Post  EarlR Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:29 pm

sgoodspeed wrote:Thanks guys! Looks like NT01s it is ;-)
    A little late to the party I know, but if you haven't already bought tires I would suggest you consider the Hankooks. They're the least expensive of the bunch, and from my experience (have raced on RA-1s, V710s, and the Hankooks) the only things faster are the Hoosiers & Goodyears. I've never used the Nittos, but from all accounts they seem to be very much like the Toyos - so I would expect similar performance (i.e. longer life, less grip). Just another $0.02
    sab123
    sab123

Post  sab123 Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Toyo RA-1 are outright garbage. I've been using them for a couple of years because they were substantially cheaper than the others. But for the same money, no way. I don't know about R888, they're supposed to be the same compound as RA-1. Note that RA-1 and probably R888 and maybe V710 would need to be shaved, or they would overheat badly on the dry track (another option would be to use them for autocross first, and after they're half work switch to track events).

I've also liked BFG R1. They're a little cheaper than Hoosiers, I think about the same price as V710. Don't need shaving, they have a different compound than V710 (V710 tries to be an autocross tire too, so at full thread it generates more heat). Performance-wise decently close to Hoosiers, and last well.

Note also that the new Hoosiers R6 and used Hoosiers R6 are not only different in the grip department but also feel pretty different. If you try to use them for the second year, you'll find that the aged Hoosiers become a bit abrupt at the limit of grip.
    philstireservice
    philstireservice

Post  philstireservice Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:45 am

Most of what has been said here is true.

Hankooks are no different than Hoosier, Kumho, Goodyear and BFG......all just about the same. They start out fast and get slower as they go...

R888's and NT-01's are the same as the above in the sense they have definitive heat cycles. They can still have tread left but no grip. Not as fst as the above, but are kinda in between the Hoosier group and the Toyo RA-1.

Toyo RA-1's, on the other hand, have the unique ability to get faster as they wear. In fact they will be their fastest just before they cord....

I'm not promoting Toyo over any other tire here ( I race on Hoosiers just for info). Just want to give the facts.....

What you all have to remember is each of these tires take a different set up, tire pressures and driving style to make them work correctly. Test, write down data and adjust accordingly......
    wreckerboy
    wreckerboy

Post  wreckerboy Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:32 pm

I've been buying from Phil tires since the earth cooled and there isn't anyplace around that matches him for service.

I've been running Toyos on a SSM Miata (2275 lbs., rear wheel drive, less horsepower than everything) and can echo what Phil said about them - they are at their very fastest right before they cord. For example, I ran five sessions at Summit this past weekend on tires that had in excess of 40 heat cycles on them and the tires were fine - my lap times put me in the top ten of a 40+ car field. The leaders were about a second quicker and were generally on even older Toyos. Note that the Toyo is the spec tire for SSM.

For a relative beginner the Toyos are perfect - they are forgiving of abuse, long wearing, and very consistent across their life span. Get them shaved to 4/32 and go from there.

Some tires are noted for peaking at 5-7 cycles and then falling off precipitously from there. This is great if you are racing in an uber-competitive open tire class, know what you are doing with tire management, and are willing to make the investment. Are the Toyos as fast as a dedicated race tire like the purple crack (Hoosiers)? Generally speaking it's track dependent. The Hoo Hoos generate more lateral grip but also have more rolling resistance. Recent testing at Road Atlanta indicates that the Hoosiers are 0.7 sec faster to the back straight, but the Toyos get it all back there with increased speed due to lower resistance. They net out at the same overall time.

The Nitto is an excellent tire - it's the Toyo with a different brand name. It had been considered as an alternative to the Toyo in SSM, and testing reported back that it liked the same care and treatment. I've never run on them, but people I know, trust, and race against, have reported favorably on them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:54 am